High Net Worth Divorce
Protection For Your Children
Domestic Abuse

Where would I file my paternity and child support case?

| Sep 12, 2016 | Uncategorized

Q: I am 7 months pregnant and live in NY as does my childs father. After my child is born, me and my child will be moving to Georgia immediately and he will be staying in NY. My question is, where would I have to file my paternity/childsl support case, in NY or GA

A: David’s Answer: If the child’s born in NY, then most likely you’d need to file in NY, though you can also file in GA & same would likely be considered a “2-state proceeding.” That said, to relocate with the child you’d generally need the father’s express permission or court permission. Schedule a consult with a Westchester Child Support attorney for a full assessment. David Bliven, Westchester Child Support Attorney (www.blivenlaw.net)

FindLaw Network