Call 914-368-7580 now to schedule a 20-minute Case Assessment or full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!
Call Today 914-368-7580

Under Age (17) Teenager And Adult (24) Have A Child, He Refuses To Pay Child Support. When Taken To Court Can He Go To Jail?

Q: My 17 year old cousin has a child with a 24 year guy. The child is 1 year of age and it's the 2 child they have. The first pregnancy occurred while she was 14, however she had a miscarriage and lost the child. They have recently split up and he refuses to pay child support. He threatened to take the child away since he is undocumented it would difficult to find him. She wants to take him to court for custody of the child and child support. However she doesn't want to bring him any harm. If she were to pursuit legal action against the childs father what are the possible outcomes?

A: David's Answer: Though technically he committed statutory rape (most likely), such prosecutions in NYC are rare. Thus, unless he's contesting custody, the likely outcome would be an order of sole custody & an order of support. Have your cousin call a Bronx Child Support attorney to schedule a consult for a full assessment.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Get Legal Guidance To Support Your Future

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact The Law Offices Of David Bliven

White Plains Office
445 Hamilton Avenue
Suite 607
White Plains, NY 10601

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions

Bronx Office
3190 Riverdale Avenue
Suite 1
Bronx, NY 10463

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions