Call 914-368-7580 now to schedule a 20-minute Case Assessment or full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!
Call Today 914-368-7580

How long am I financially responsible for 18 year old with their own child?

Q: I have an 18 year old daughter that will be 19 in one month. She has a child of her own and expecting another child in less than 2 months. By law how long am I expected to support her financially? If she seeks assistance from social services someone said they can come after me for child support? They said I am only responsible for my child not grandchildren. HOW is that have her living with me supporting her obviously includes her children living with me which means I am financially responsible for them as well?

A: David's Answer: If you're supporting her, then there should be no need for her to apply for public assistance. Instead, she should be encouraged to force the father of her child to pay child support. That said, so long as she is not fully self-supporting, you must support her until she's 21 (unless sooner emancipated otherwise). Schedule a consult with an Orange/Westchester Child Support attorney for more info. - David Bliven, Westchester Child Support Attorney (

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Get Legal Guidance To Support Your Future

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact The Law Offices Of David Bliven

White Plains Office
445 Hamilton Avenue
Suite 607
White Plains, NY 10601

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions

Bronx Office
3190 Riverdale Avenue
Suite 1
Bronx, NY 10463

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions