Call 914-368-7580 now to schedule a 20-minute Case Assessment or full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!
Call Today 914-368-7580

Can I file for an order of protection in a different county?

Q: I filed for an order of protection through family court and was advised to obtain an order of protection through criminal court as well after filing a police report for a death threat. I received a temporary order of protection in the same county that I filed the police report, but I am moving to another county (across the state) solely for my safety as soon as possible. I have not had time to make it out to criminal court to file for an order of protection through them. Can I do this in another county once I arrive there, or do both have to be obtained in the same county? I will still be residing in the same state - not sure if that matters. Any and all info would be greatly appreciated!!

A: David's Answer: Your Family Court order is good anywhere in New York. That said, in terms of the criminal proceeding, the DA may feel venue is best situated in the county where the crime occurred. Call a Bronx Domestic Violence attorney for more info. - David Bliven, Bronx Domestic Violence Attorney (

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Get Legal Guidance To Support Your Future

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact The Law Offices Of David Bliven

White Plains Office
445 Hamilton Avenue
Suite 607
White Plains, NY 10601

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions

Bronx Office
3190 Riverdale Avenue
Suite 1
Bronx, NY 10463

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions