Call 914-368-7580 now to schedule a 20-minute Case Assessment or full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!
Call Today 914-368-7580

Divorce filed but husband doesn't want to divorce. How can this affect me if I want to remarry?

Q:  I filed divorce but my husband doesn't want to divorce (Muslim Family Law). My marriage contract doesn't include permission for me to divorce my husband. That's why I have to file a case and it might take unto 2 years to settle. In current situation, how can I remarry? The marriage was conducted in Bangladesh (Muslim Family Law).

A:  David's Answer:  In short, you cannot re-marry until you get divorced first. As such, you'll need to pursue your divorce case & if he contests grounds, you may need to have the Court conduct a grounds trial (which should be an easy trial if you filed under no fault grounds). Schedule a consult with a NYC Divorce attorney for a full assessment. -- David Bliven, Bronx Divorce attorney (

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Get Legal Guidance To Support Your Future

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact The Law Offices Of David Bliven

White Plains Office
445 Hamilton Avenue
Suite 607
White Plains, NY 10601

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions

Bronx Office
3190 Riverdale Avenue
Suite 1
Bronx, NY 10463

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions