Call 914-368-7580 now to schedule a 20-minute Case Assessment or full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!
Call Today 914-368-7580

NYC Family Offense Petition

Q: I have been separated from my common law wife / mother of my children for approximately 7 months. I was served with a petition for custody and a family offense petition. My question is regarding the family offense petition. There was a restraining order attached and a list of crimes that I am supposed to have committed on the family offense petition. Am I facing criminal charges? Is there a chance I will be arrested on the date of the first hearing?

A: David's Answer: If the case is merely pending in Family Court, then that's NOT a criminal case. Family Law allows for civil prosecution of "family offense" crimes in Family Court, but there's no risk of going to jail unless you willfully violate an order of protection. Schedule a consult with a NYC Family Law attorney for a full assessment.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Get Legal Guidance To Support Your Future

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact The Law Offices Of David Bliven

White Plains Office
445 Hamilton Avenue
Suite 607
White Plains, NY 10601

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions

Bronx Office
3190 Riverdale Avenue
Suite 1
Bronx, NY 10463

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions