High Net Worth Divorce
Protection For Your Children
Domestic Abuse

My Wife Move Out Of State And File A Petition For Child Support From There.

| Jun 12, 2016 | Uncategorized

Q: My wife move out of state and she file a petition against me in the court in that state. i live 15 hours far from that state i can’t appear in the court what happens at this situation?

A: David’s Answer: Respectfully to other learned counsel, the jurisdictional law for child support does not involve an assessment of where the children have been residing for 6 or more months (that’s the law for child custody jurisdiction). If you remained living in NY & she moved to another state, you’ll need to consult an attorney there on the jurisdictional question as you may have a basis to file a motion to dismiss. If the case is in NY, then call a Rockland/Westchester Family Law attorney to schedule a consult.

FindLaw Network