Call 914-368-7580 now to schedule a 20-minute Case Assessment or full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!
Call Today 914-368-7580

Is it possible to enforce in the USA a judgment for alimony that was given in Europe?

Q: My husband and I moved to Europe about 15 years ago. About 12 years ago my husband filled for a divorce and I was awarded alimony. My husband never payed me alimony and one day he just left and returned to the states. Can I enforce the European judgment for alimony in the states?

A: David's Answer: Assuming the court in Europe had valid jurisdiction over him, then the courts likely will allow a Registration & Enforcement proceeding. Nevertheless, in advance of the filing, you should immediately send him correspondence making a demand for payment (if you haven't already) - otherwise a court may find that you waived enforcement by waiting so long. Call a NYC Alimony attorney to schedule a consult for more info. -- David Bliven, Bronx Alimony attorney (

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Get Legal Guidance To Support Your Future

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact The Law Offices Of David Bliven

White Plains Office
19 Court Street
Suite 206
White Plains, NY 10601

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions

Bronx Office
3190 Riverdale Avenue
Suite 1
Bronx, NY 10463

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions