High Net Worth Divorce
Protection For Your Children
Domestic Abuse

If my 18 year old daughter willingly moves out, is she able to collect child support?

| Jun 12, 2016 | Uncategorized

Q: My 18 yr old wants to move out, in hopes that support payments will come directly to her. Is this true? Or will she empanicipate herself? I feel as though my ex is giving her bad advice. She wants to reside where she works at a resort. In return, she wants to petition the court to receive child support payments. No one is asking her to leave, nor does anyone bother her at home. She freely comes and goes as she pleases. She feels as though she should collect the support payments. In hence, that’s her reason for moving out.

A: David’s Answer: If the child moves out with no valid justification, then the parent may argue she emancipated herself by virtue of her actions. Moreover, if she’s 18 & working full-time, that may be another basis for emancipation. Schedule a consult with a Dutchess/Westchester Child Support attorney for a full assessment. David Bliven, Westchester Child Support attorney (www.blivenlaw.net)

FindLaw Network