Call 914-368-7580 now to schedule a 20-minute Case Assessment or full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!
Call Today 914-368-7580

If my 18 year old daughter willingly moves out, is she able to collect child support?

Q: My 18 yr old wants to move out, in hopes that support payments will come directly to her. Is this true? Or will she empanicipate herself? I feel as though my ex is giving her bad advice. She wants to reside where she works at a resort. In return, she wants to petition the court to receive child support payments. No one is asking her to leave, nor does anyone bother her at home. She freely comes and goes as she pleases. She feels as though she should collect the support payments. In hence, that's her reason for moving out.

A: David's Answer: If the child moves out with no valid justification, then the parent may argue she emancipated herself by virtue of her actions. Moreover, if she's 18 & working full-time, that may be another basis for emancipation. Schedule a consult with a Dutchess/Westchester Child Support attorney for a full assessment. - David Bliven, Westchester Child Support attorney (

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Get Legal Guidance To Support Your Future

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact The Law Offices Of David Bliven

White Plains Office
19 Court Street
Suite 206
White Plains, NY 10601

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions

Bronx Office
3190 Riverdale Avenue
Suite 1
Bronx, NY 10463

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions