Call 914-368-7580 now to schedule a 20-minute Case Assessment or full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!
Call Today 914-368-7580

If an 18 year old by their choice wants to leave home, do you have to pay them child support? no one is making her leave.

Q: my child wants to leave home to be able to collect child support on their own. she has not been asked to leave, she wants to live at her job, which is a resort. can she leave and have child support paid directly to her? its all about her wanting the money directly to her. also, if her father was paying support to me. then how does it work, do we split the child support if she gets it. I still have a younger child at home (10) that he would still have to pay for. he just wants his support payments lowered. I feel he is not looking out for her best interest.

A: David's Answer: If she leaves the house and is self-supporting by virtue of her work, then most likely the Court would find that she emancipated herself by virtue of her actions. If, for whatever reason, the court continues the child support, then the court may allocate the combined parental obligation for both children & then make each of you pay a pro-rata share of the obligation to her directly. Schedule a consult with an Orange/Westchester Child Support attorney for a full assessment. - David Bliven, Westchester Child Support attorney (

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Get Legal Guidance To Support Your Future

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact The Law Offices Of David Bliven

White Plains Office
19 Court Street
Suite 206
White Plains, NY 10601

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions

Bronx Office
3190 Riverdale Avenue
Suite 1
Bronx, NY 10463

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions