Call 914-368-7580 now to schedule a 20-minute Case Assessment or full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!
Call Today 914-368-7580

I am wanting a divorce, but I know I have to be married for 10 yrs to get half of my husband's social security benefits.

Q: If he earns $180,000.00+ and has been working for the same company for about 25 years, how can I calculate how much would I get? Just roughly... (I have tried several websites, but it has been difficult to calculate it myself) I have been a stay at home mother and he is the only one working. Also, if he files for bankruptcy, will it affect his social security benefits?

A: David's Answer: The 10-year figure comes into play where you would be able to use your husbands earnings to qualify for social secrity for yourself - NOT that you would "get half of HIS social security." Social security is not a divisable asset of the marriage. That said, you can visit the NYS court system website & use their maintenance calculator to get an idea of what you may get in terms of alimony. Schedule a consult with a NYC Divorce attorney for a full assessment. -- David Bliven, Bronx Divorce attorney (

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Get Legal Guidance To Support Your Future

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact The Law Offices Of David Bliven

White Plains Office
19 Court Street
Suite 206
White Plains, NY 10601

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions

Bronx Office
3190 Riverdale Avenue
Suite 1
Bronx, NY 10463

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions