Call 914-368-7580 now to schedule a 20-minute Case Assessment or full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!
Call Today 914-368-7580

Filling a divorce but husband in another country

Q: My ex- husband divorced me 5 years ago from Africa (Nigeria), he sent me the document and i have moved on since then, i have 2 kids from this marriage. I am now married for 4 years and my ex-husband has also remarried. My husband applied for a green card for me but unfortunately, we were told that my ex husband divorce document was not genuine.
Now i want to divorce him again from America, so that there will be a genuine proof of divorce and we can continue the green card process. Please how can i go about this, the last time i saw my ex-husband was in January 2010.Your reply will be highly appreciated. Thanks a lot and God bless you

A: David's Answer: You would need to file the papers & get a Judge to approve service upon him. Nigeria is not a signatory on the hague Convention, and thus service of process may be an issue. Schedule a consult with a NYC Divorce attorney for a full assessment. -- David Bliven, Bronx Divorce attorney (

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Get Legal Guidance To Support Your Future

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact The Law Offices Of David Bliven

White Plains Office
19 Court Street
Suite 206
White Plains, NY 10601

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions

Bronx Office
3190 Riverdale Avenue
Suite 1
Bronx, NY 10463

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions