Call 914-368-7580 now to schedule a 20-minute Case Assessment or full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!
Call Today 914-368-7580

Custody and visitation question from a divorced NYC father with a thirteen year old son who now lives in NJ with mom...

Q: 1) How does a divorced father TRULY enforce an existing custody agreement and visitation schedule with a very controlling former spouse who is not adhering to the schedule and insists - autocratically - that they are more aware of the child's schedule, obligations and needs on a daily basis.

2) What might mom do legally to maintain control?

A: David's Answer: The best advise is to strictly follow the schedule - and send mother a default notice letter (in the manner prescribed in your agreement) for each perceived violation. Make reference in the letter to the exact provision in the agreement you believe she violated, ask that she not only avoid future such violations but also that she remedy the violation which has already occurred (e.g., through make-up time). If there's a pattern of such violations with no remedy, then that's when you file a violation petition in Family Court. Schedule a consult with a NYC Family Law attorney for a full assessment.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Get Legal Guidance To Support Your Future

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact The Law Offices Of David Bliven

White Plains Office
445 Hamilton Avenue
Suite 607
White Plains, NY 10601

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions

Bronx Office
3190 Riverdale Avenue
Suite 1
Bronx, NY 10463

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions