High Net Worth Divorce
Protection For Your Children
Domestic Abuse

Child Support Question

| Jun 4, 2016 | Uncategorized

Q: Soon to be ex wife left with Children. Took me off of her insurance plan without notifying me. She is the sponsor for my green card where she signed the affidavit of support. I have been unable to work my construction job due to a hip injury. Cannot have the surgery to get the problem fixed because I am uninsured even though as per affidavit of support she is supposed to provide medical insurance and help me financially for 40 work quarters/approx 10 years. She left me, moved away with my children and now has just sent me child support papers. I have no income currently. The courts want proof of income but I have none. Just received Green card less than 2 years ago. What should I bring to court and how will my injury impact the amount I am asked to pay?

A: David’s Answer: As for the child support case, you would generally need to apply for disability. If you cannot work, you’d need a Doctor’s report to back you up. It also sounds like you should file for divorce & include a claim for alimony (i.e., maintenance). Schedule a consult with a Westchester Family Law attorney for a full assessment.

FindLaw Network