Call 914-368-7580 now to schedule a 20-minute Case Assessment or full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!
Call Today 914-368-7580

Attorney and custody case

Q: JOD is entered and filed but the order dictating the terms of custody and visitation is not yet filed and entered.
The current attorney that I have is not filing the court order that would make it enforceable. Ex's attorney won't file because the order is against his client. Would it constitue a malpractice on my attorney's part. How to go about getting the order and filing

A: David's Answer: I'm confused as to why the terms of custody were not part of the Judgment of Divorce - usually they aren't separate orders. That said, whether something constitutes malpractice depends on whether your current retainer covers post-judgment applications (usually they do not) & in what manner you were prejudiced by your attorney's alleged inaction (which would presumably be minimal if anything given you can simply hire another attorney to submit what's needed). Call a NYC Family Law attorney to schedule a consult for more info

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Get Legal Guidance To Support Your Future

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact The Law Offices Of David Bliven

White Plains Office
19 Court Street
Suite 206
White Plains, NY 10601

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions

Bronx Office
3190 Riverdale Avenue
Suite 1
Bronx, NY 10463

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions