Call 914-368-7580 now to schedule a 20-minute Case Assessment or full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!
Call Today 914-368-7580

Appeal or motion to disaffirmed special referee decision?

Q: I received the signed judgment of divorce. The custody matter was decided by the Supreme Court judge after trial and the financial matter after a trial with a special referee. It was hear and determine, therefore the special referee signed the judgment of divorce. Unfortunately there are accounting mistakes (1+1=3) in the equitable distribution and special referee doesn't want to take a look. Should I move to Supreme Court pursuant CPLR 5019(a) to disaffirm the report or should I appeal it? I was not even allowed to send a counter judgment.

A: David's Answer: If the stipulation assigning the Referee was hear & determine, then there's no longer a need for confirmation. You may appeal the Referee once his/her report is incorporated into the Judgement. Schedule a consult with a NYC Family Law attorney for more info.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Get Legal Guidance To Support Your Future

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact The Law Offices Of David Bliven

White Plains Office
19 Court Street
Suite 206
White Plains, NY 10601

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions

Bronx Office
3190 Riverdale Avenue
Suite 1
Bronx, NY 10463

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions