You don’t need to prove adultery as NY is a “no fault” state. Additionally, I wouldn’t suggest hiring a lawyer to check whether she’s filed for divorce – it’s probably better to just hire a P.I. & have him/her start out by going to the courthouse in the county where she resides (or resided at the time) & checking with the clerk’s office. Schedule a consult with a NYC Divorce attorney for more info.