Call 914-368-7580 now to schedule a 20-minute Case Assessment or full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!
Call Today 914-368-7580

Should I State Child Support Until 21, But That We Agree To Credit Me With Any Funds I Contribute Toward College Expenses?

Q: The situation is as follows: NY residents. Husband and I have settled custody for 50/50 arrangement. I make 10% more, and so he is requesting child support. We have agreed to my paying support until the children go to college (age 18). After that, the idea is that we will both pay college at 50/50 (he doesn't want to show assets which far exceed mine). In looking at the agreement, his lawyer did write child support until 18, but then put a large section about emancipation. He also wrote 50/50 for college, but didn't specify that my child support contribution was intended to go towards college expenses. I do not have a lawyer, but a friend of mine who has gone through this says we must specify, or else my ex could come back when the kids are 18 and ask for support, regardless of our agreement that resources be directed toward college expenses. I don't want to sign it this way if that is true. Thank you.

A: David's Answer: First, you should either retain an attorney or at the VERY least have the proposed agreement reviewed by one. That said, your instincts appear correct - any stone left unturned may come back to haunt you later. Schedule a consult with a Westchester Family Law attorney for a full assessment.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Get Legal Guidance To Support Your Future

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact The Law Offices Of David Bliven

White Plains Office
445 Hamilton Avenue
Suite 607
White Plains, NY 10601

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions

Bronx Office
3190 Riverdale Avenue
Suite 1
Bronx, NY 10463

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions