Call 914-368-7580 now to schedule a 20-minute Case Assessment or full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!
Call Today 914-368-7580

My ex husband agreed to pay for college, equivalent to a NYS College. What does that mean? He is trying to pay only tuition.

Q: My ex has only paid for basic tuition and some fees. He is very wealthy, What is generally included in the cost? The wording is very basic. I was under the impression that it included all the direct and indirect costs of a college education as would be at a SUNY school, as they give a number that is a total cost A college education. Nothing itemized. Also if my son is about to graduate and is past 21 who would go after him, me or my son?

A: David's Answer: If the wording is "college expenses," then most Magistrates will construe this to include tuition, fees, room-and-board and necessary books. School supplies and non-mandatory books are usually not included. Moreover, if the wording of the agreement does not specifically include a SUNY cap, then he'll likely be stuck with paying the pro rata share of private schooling as well. Finally, any application to enforce the agreement is properly brought by you, not your son. Schedule a consult with a NYC Family Law attorney for more info.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Get Legal Guidance To Support Your Future

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact The Law Offices Of David Bliven

White Plains Office
445 Hamilton Avenue
Suite 607
White Plains, NY 10601

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions

Bronx Office
3174 Riverdale Avenue
Suite 1
Bronx, NY 10463

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions