Call 914-368-7580 now to schedule a 20-minute Case Assessment or full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!
Call Today 914-368-7580

I lost my job - how do I modify child support?

Especially since the '08 financial crash, many people have lost their job. However, don't assume your child support order will automatically go down.

File a Modification Petition
In NY, one only gets relief retroactive to the date of filing, so if you lose your job, file a petition for modification right away. You cannot get a modification if you either voluntarily quit or are fired due to misconduct.

Burden of Proof
On your petition, you have the burden of proving you lost your job thru no fault of your own. Thus, you must produce a notarized letter from your ex-employer confirming you were laid off, or other similar proof. You must ALSO prove you're making a diligent job search. You can generally only prove this by submitting a job search diary, comprising printouts & recordations of all your efforts to find work commensurate with your prior earnings. You should be aware that if you're completely out-of-work, the Court will generally require 30-40+ efforts per week. If you're working part-time, this may be reduced depending on your hours to 10-30 efforts per week.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Get Legal Guidance To Support Your Future

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact The Law Offices Of David Bliven

White Plains Office
445 Hamilton Avenue
Suite 607
White Plains, NY 10601

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions

Bronx Office
3190 Riverdale Avenue
Suite 1
Bronx, NY 10463

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions