High Net Worth Divorce
Protection For Your Children
Domestic Abuse

How do I find a family attorney that is will to take my case, and receive payment after child support case is over ?

| May 16, 2016 | Uncategorized

Q: I would like to establish paternity, and my ex partner has a lawyer handling all the communication between us, it looks like I have to get an attorney too, in this case I should not talk directly to his attorney. Could it be possible, I can have him cover my attorney fees? and all cost associated with the child support case.

Also, my ex partner is still married and forcing me to get an abortion with an offer on the table (basically it is in writing from the attorney) I have refused the offer to my ex partner, but not to the attorney. Therefore, I need immediate representation.

A: David’s Answer: First, no one can “force you” to get an abortion – that choice is solely the woman’s choice. Second, attorneys cannot take cases on a contingency in this area of law, and generally will need to be paid as the case goes along. That said, if the father’s earning significant income, it may be possible to file a motion for interim counsel fees (which would force him to pay a portion of, or all of, the fees your lawyer would otherwise charge to you). Schedule a consult with a NYC Family Law attorney for a full assessment.

FindLaw Network