High Net Worth Divorce
Protection For Your Children
Domestic Abuse

How Do I Stop A No-contest Divorce Action? Is It A Form I Have To File With The Courts? I Only Have A Week Left.

| Apr 2, 2016 | Uncategorized

Q: I was served with divorce papers in which my husband wants it to be uncontested. I will possibly grant the divorce but I do not agree to the terms. I know its probable that I will hire an attorney soon but for now I just want to stop or stay this divorce action so that it doesn’t default to him, and he get everything. I’ve done some research but I have not been able to get a specific answer of how to take this first step and, time being of the essence, I’m getting stressed. All we have is some investments and a dwelling and we don’t make much, we live very simply. No retirement accounts or insurances or anything else and we are both pretty much retired. Thank you in advance, for your help.

A: David’s Answer: You would need to draft & file an Answer to his complaint, as well as file same with the clerk’s office along with an affidavit of service. It may make better sense to hire the attorney sooner rather than later, as the attorney can handle this for you. Call a Dutchess/Westchester Divorce attorney to schedule a consult.

FindLaw Network