High Net Worth Divorce
Protection For Your Children
Domestic Abuse

How Do I Serve Papers For Child Support Hearing When I Don’t Know The Respondent’s Location?

| Apr 2, 2016 | Uncategorized

Q: I live in NY and have a Child Support order with my ex. I recently filed a petition for modification but have not seen nor heard from my ex in over 8years. I spoke with the Family Court prior to filing the modification and they had told me that all I needed to do was put his address as “Unknown/On File with Support Collection Unit” and that they would have them served to him. Apparently this is incorrect and now I have to get him served. How do I serve someone when I don’t have contact information for him? The support collection unit has his location but won’t share the information.

A: David’s Answer: Have the Magistrate sign a subpoena to SCU requiring them to turn over the information. Otherwise, you may need to hire a P.I. Call an Orange/Westchester Child Support attorney to schedule a consult for a full assessment.

FindLaw Network