Call 914-368-7580 now to schedule a 20-minute Case Assessment or full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!
Call Today 914-368-7580

What Defense If Any Do I Have? Will I Be Required To Pay The Loan?

Q: In December 2013 was laid off from work. Child became a freshman in college at private university. That academic year already paid for. in 2014 child needed to take a loan and again in 2016. NCP refused to co-sign for any loan and only paid their share of costs advising it was not their problem. Stipulation of divorce states that both parents should pay tuition and fees only up to the cost of SUNY Albany. (SUNY cap). I found work in 2015 and have only been working one year. NCP now petitioned that I have not paid my share of tuition and fees, however the is no outstanding bill for the school. What recourse is there for me to dispute the allegations?

A: David's Answer: You should file a modification petition if your financial circumstances have changed. If your stipulation of settlement was executed prior to October, 2010, then the standard to change it may be "unanticipated change of circumstances" meaning you'd have a tough time making out a defense. Schedule a consult with a Westchester family law attorney for a full assessment.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Get Legal Guidance To Support Your Future

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact The Law Offices Of David Bliven

White Plains Office
19 Court Street
Suite 206
White Plains, NY 10601

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions

Bronx Office
3190 Riverdale Avenue
Suite 1
Bronx, NY 10463

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions