Call 914-368-7580 now to schedule a 20-minute Case Assessment or full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!
Call Today 914-368-7580

If a signed affidavit of Defendant has been signed and notarized but not filed, what are her rights in wanting to contest it now

Q: My wife and I made a mutual agreement to divorce ( uncontested divorce) in NYC. She has signed and notarized the affidavit of defendant which says she has waived her rights. Now she is threatening to contest the uncontested divorce. I have an index number but have not filed her affidavit of defendant with the court yet. What can I do? Does she have the right to contest it?

A: David's Answer: Theoretically, she could hire an attorney to file a motion to vacate the affidavit. That doesn't prevent you from proceeding to file it & getting the judgment (I.e., you don't have to wait to hear back from her or her lawyer at this point). Call a Bronx Uncontested Divorce attorney to schedule a consult for a full assessment. - David Bliven, Bronx Uncontested Divorce Attorney, (

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Get Legal Guidance To Support Your Future

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact The Law Offices Of David Bliven

White Plains Office
445 Hamilton Avenue
Suite 607
White Plains, NY 10601

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions

Bronx Office
3190 Riverdale Avenue
Suite 1
Bronx, NY 10463

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions