Call 914-368-7580 now to schedule a 20-minute Case Assessment or full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!
Call Today 914-368-7580

Downward child support modification where the magistrate denied me to testify via telephone. Reside out of state.

Q: In family court for the last 10 yrs. I have arrearages and my paycheck is garnished bi-weekly to cover arrears and current child support. The custodial parent filed a petition to have me incarcerated because they want the arrears paid. The magistrate determined jail for 6 months or pay a certain amount. This was to go before the family court judge. I have testified via telephone the last 10 years as I live out of state. I was given a court appointed attorney who did not say I needed to be present. She thought i was testifying by telephone . So the judge was upset that I was not present & issued a bench warrant. In the meantime, two of my three children turned 21 years old and I filed a petition to recalculate support. I asked if I can testify via telephone, as I always have over the course of the last 10 yrs and this time she denied my request. 1st time ever. Is this because of my bench warrant? How can I have the two children who are now of age removed from my obligation of child support if I cannot personally appear & she denied my request for telephone testimony? What about my rights? I am not just asking for a modification for the heck of it, the kids are of age. What can I do?

A: David's Answer: It's certainly possible the Magistrate denied the phone appearance because of the bench warrant. That said, any final decision is appeal able, so you're best advised to take an appeal. Schedule a consult with a Westchester Child Support attorney for a full assessment. - David Bliven, Westchester Child Support Attorney, (

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Get Legal Guidance To Support Your Future

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact The Law Offices Of David Bliven

White Plains Office
19 Court Street
Suite 206
White Plains, NY 10601

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions

Bronx Office
3190 Riverdale Avenue
Suite 1
Bronx, NY 10463

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions