Call 914-368-7580 now to schedule a 20-minute Case Assessment or full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!
Call Today 914-368-7580

Do we need a traditional divorce and if so how do we go about this? It would be uncontested.

Q: Same sex marriage in Canada in 2008, never let home state of NY know we were married. Meaning we never filed a marriage certificate with the courts. Ny was not recognizing same sex marriages at that time (I dont think)

A: David's Answer: It doesn't matter where in the world you were married, it only matters that you're currently a NY resident (& have been for at least 2 years) and that NY now recognizes the marriage (which it does). Thus, you can proceed to file the uncontested divorce in the county where you reside. Call a Putnum/Westchester Unconetsted Divorce attorney to schedule a consult for more info. - David Bliven, Westchester Divorce Attorney.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Get Legal Guidance To Support Your Future

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact The Law Offices Of David Bliven

White Plains Office
445 Hamilton Avenue
Suite 607
White Plains, NY 10601

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions

Bronx Office
3190 Riverdale Avenue
Suite 1
Bronx, NY 10463

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions