High Net Worth Divorce
Protection For Your Children
Domestic Abuse

Do I get a legal separation first or just get the divorce?

| Feb 19, 2016 | Uncategorized

Q: I am getting ready to go thru the divorce process after two years and of seperation. There has been no contact within these two years and there is no chance of us getting back together. I am currently with someone and I am pregnant. The child is my boyfriend’s. I am being told to get a legal separation first since it will stop my husband from having anything to do with the baby. I was told this by my supervisor who is a retired Colombia county sheriff. I want to know of this is the case.

A: David’s Answer: The separation versus the divorce doesn’t really matter. You can file for divorce now & simply not name that child as a child of the marriage in the divorce papers (as you wouldn’t do anyway as the child’s not born yet). Thus, schedule a consult with an Orange/Westchester Divorce attorney for a full assessment. – David Bliven, Westchester Divorce Attorney.

FindLaw Network