Call 914-368-7580 now to schedule a 20-minute Case Assessment or full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!
Call Today 914-368-7580

Do I get a legal separation first or just get the divorce?

Q: I am getting ready to go thru the divorce process after two years and of seperation. There has been no contact within these two years and there is no chance of us getting back together. I am currently with someone and I am pregnant. The child is my boyfriend's. I am being told to get a legal separation first since it will stop my husband from having anything to do with the baby. I was told this by my supervisor who is a retired Colombia county sheriff. I want to know of this is the case.

A: David's Answer: The separation versus the divorce doesn't really matter. You can file for divorce now & simply not name that child as a child of the marriage in the divorce papers (as you wouldn't do anyway as the child's not born yet). Thus, schedule a consult with an Orange/Westchester Divorce attorney for a full assessment. - David Bliven, Westchester Divorce Attorney.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Get Legal Guidance To Support Your Future

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact The Law Offices Of David Bliven

White Plains Office
19 Court Street
Suite 206
White Plains, NY 10601

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions

Bronx Office
3190 Riverdale Avenue
Suite 1
Bronx, NY 10463

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions