Call 914-368-7580 now to schedule a 20-minute Case Assessment or full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!
Call Today 914-368-7580

Divorce and never received equitable distribution.

Q: My divorce was over two years ago. We made an agreement in court. My divorce decree states that I am entitled to half of my ex husbands 401 k plus an extra 12,000.00. Also he is responsible to pay for all the copays for all 4 children as well as pay for half of the two oldest kids car insurance. He was responsible to pay for all the paperwork that needs to be done for distributing my share of the 401 k which was never done. He never pays for the copays nor does he pay for the car insurance which by the way is under my name, so I end up having to fork it up every time. I have contacted the judge both with letters and filled out the order to show cause papers. She has refused to help me and tells me that I need to pay someone to do the distribution even though I have no money. It was an agreement we made and it should be legal. I should be getting interest on this money because I should have received the money after our divorce was final and I never did.

What can I do about going over the judges decision and who would I contact?

A: David's Answer: First, you may need to send a default notice letter to your ex-spouse, depending on the provisions within your settlement papers. Second, you generally cannot "send letters" to the Judge to enforce a prior order - you must file the proper papers & in the proper manner. You should call a Dutchess/Westchester Divorce attorney to schedule a consult for a full assessment. - David Bliven, Westchester Divorce Attorney.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Get Legal Guidance To Support Your Future

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact The Law Offices Of David Bliven

White Plains Office
19 Court Street
Suite 206
White Plains, NY 10601

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions

Bronx Office
3190 Riverdale Avenue
Suite 1
Bronx, NY 10463

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions