Call 914-368-7580 now to schedule a 20-minute Case Assessment or full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!
Call Today 914-368-7580

Can my ex just change his mind about a previous court agreement on support?

Q: My ex and I closed a case agreeing to take full financial responsibility for each of our two sons. One lives primarily with him and one with me. I have responsibility for one and he for the other. He is threatening now to sue me for support. What is the typical reaction of the court? Can he just claim that he has changed his mind? I do make a higher income than he does. But the expenses for my other son are higher. They are both special needs children. The son with me is in a private school for someone with his needs. My ex has no interaction with the son that stays with me and has not seen him in 2 1/2 years. I sacrificed one of my custodial days with the son that lives with him to get my son who lives primarily with me to the school that meets his needs. I see my son that lives with him every other weekend and holidays. Does the change in visitation change the equation?

A: David's Answer: Yes, he can just "re-file." The Courts cannot foreclose one's ability to file for child support. If the Court had reduced your agreement to an order, however, then he can only generally re-file if (a) 3 years has passed since the order, (b) there's been a 15% change in incomes, or (c) there's otherwise been a substantial change of circumstances. Schedule a consult with a Dutchess/Westchester Child Support attorney for a full assessment. - David Bliven, Westchester Child Support Attorney, (

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Get Legal Guidance To Support Your Future

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact The Law Offices Of David Bliven

White Plains Office
19 Court Street
Suite 206
White Plains, NY 10601

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions

Bronx Office
3190 Riverdale Avenue
Suite 1
Bronx, NY 10463

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions