High Net Worth Divorce
Protection For Your Children
Domestic Abuse

What Can I Do To Protect Myself From This Situation?

| Jan 1, 2016 | Uncategorized

Q: My soon to be ex wife filed for order of protection in Nov 2014 and I honored that order. She kept her address and phone number of her residence and workplace confidential and never disclosed where she is working.

I was searching for lawyers and unfortunately while calling various law offices, my call went to her office and she picked up. I did not know that she was working at that law office at all. Now she has filed a violation petition and is threatening to send me to jail.

I knew her mobile number, her house phone number, her residential address but did not know where she works. I honored the order of protection for the whole year and never contacted her but unfortunately while searching for a lawyer for this case my call went to her workplace.

What can I do to protect myself from this situation? Can this call of mine be misconstrued as a violation of order of protection?

A: David’s Answer: The issue will be whether you willfully violated the order. One would think she (in Family Court) or the ADA (in criminal court) would need to prove you knew or had reason to know she worked there. Call a Westchester Domestic Violence attorney.

FindLaw Network