High Net Worth Divorce
Protection For Your Children
Domestic Abuse

Do I Have To Keep Paying My Ex Child Support Until My Support Court Date In Late March, Even Though The Child Is Living With Me?

| Jan 8, 2016 | Uncategorized

Q: I have a case in family court where I’ve been given temporary custody due to a TOP as of late December. Our daughter has no intentions of going back to my ex due to physical abuse, but I know it’s a process to switch child support. In fact, I now have a date for support court in late March. Do I have to keep paying my ex child support until late March, and if I do, can I then get it back as well as receiving back child support for those months?

A: David’s Answer: Unless the Court suspends the order, you technically still need to abide by it. Your alternative is to file an order to show cause & request that the magistrate suspend the support order. Schedule a consult with a Westchester family Law attorney for a full assessment.

FindLaw Network