Call 914-368-7580 now to schedule a 20-minute Case Assessment or full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!
Call Today 914-368-7580

Can I serve summons and complaint (uncontested divorce) on my husband who lives abroad by express mail?

Q: My husband and I have been separate for more than a year. He left the U.S. and went back to his country. I am a U.S. citizen and he is not. I am still married to him on the papers, and I want to get a divorce. However, I am going to process on my own. For service of the summons and complaint, is it sufficient to drop the papers with an international courier with his last known address? We do not talk, so I cannot get a waiver or affidavit from him. However, I know that he will not object to this divorce. Can you please tell me if I can serve him through express mail or regular postage?

A: David's Answer: You cannot formally serve him by mail. You can either try to send him the Defendant's Affidavit & see if he'll sign. Otherwise, you'd need to file a motion to get a Judge to authorize service abroad (& in what manner, given that the Hague Convention may come into play). Call a NYC Divorce attorney for more info. -- David Bliven, Bronx Divorce Attorney, (

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Get Legal Guidance To Support Your Future

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact The Law Offices Of David Bliven

White Plains Office
19 Court Street
Suite 206
White Plains, NY 10601

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions

Bronx Office
3190 Riverdale Avenue
Suite 1
Bronx, NY 10463

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions