High Net Worth Divorce
Protection For Your Children
Domestic Abuse

Can I Be Emancipated In New York At 16 If Pregnant?

| Jan 1, 2016 | Uncategorized

Q: I’m 16 years old and pregnant. My mother is trying to force me to get an abortion. We live in New York and my boyfriend, who is enlisted in the army, is planning on sending monthly checks to support the baby and myself. His parents are also willing to allow me to move in and will tell the courts they will support me. I want to become emancipated and need to know if that is possible and if there is a lawyer who would be willing to meet with me for a free consultation, and if willing to move forward, would be willing to work out some form of payment plan with me.

A: David’s Answer: In NY, you need not file any specific paperwork to “emancipate” yourself. Moreover, your mother cannot force you to get an abortion, even if you are a minor. That choice is always yours to make – no Doctor would agree to perform an abortion unless the patient clearly states she wants one. Call an Orange/Westchester Family Law attorney.

FindLaw Network
David Bliven Badge