Call 914-368-7580 now to schedule a 20-minute Case Assessment or full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!
Call Today 914-368-7580

Can I Be Emancipated In New York At 16 If Pregnant?

Q: I'm 16 years old and pregnant. My mother is trying to force me to get an abortion. We live in New York and my boyfriend, who is enlisted in the army, is planning on sending monthly checks to support the baby and myself. His parents are also willing to allow me to move in and will tell the courts they will support me. I want to become emancipated and need to know if that is possible and if there is a lawyer who would be willing to meet with me for a free consultation, and if willing to move forward, would be willing to work out some form of payment plan with me.

A: David's Answer: In NY, you need not file any specific paperwork to "emancipate" yourself. Moreover, your mother cannot force you to get an abortion, even if you are a minor. That choice is always yours to make - no Doctor would agree to perform an abortion unless the patient clearly states she wants one. Call an Orange/Westchester Family Law attorney.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Get Legal Guidance To Support Your Future

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact The Law Offices Of David Bliven

White Plains Office
19 Court Street
Suite 206
White Plains, NY 10601

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions

Bronx Office
3190 Riverdale Avenue
Suite 1
Bronx, NY 10463

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions