High Net Worth Divorce
Protection For Your Children
Domestic Abuse

Warrant for arrest for not appearing in person.

| Dec 19, 2015 | Uncategorized

Q: A Decision and Order was made by the Family Court in New York State. The purge amount was set at $15,000 or 6 months in jail. I had my confirmation hearing today, which was to be telephonically and my court appointed lawyer would be present. However, the judge asked my lawyer where I was & the lawyer stated she did not tell me to appear. The judge did not hear the confirmation hearing case instead issued a warrant for my arrest since I was not present. I do not reside in the state of NY and reside in TX. Will they come for me? What happens if I get pulled over in TX will I get arrested? What can I do since my lawyer did not tell me to be present? Isn’t she suppose to advise me that I must be present? The judge never heard testimony for the Confirmation Hearing, just issued a warrant since I was not present and dismissed everyone. Can I object or file a motion that my lawyer did not advise me to be present? Do I need to turn myself in, in NY or can it be anywhere?

A: David’s Answer: With an outstanding warrant, there is indeed always the possibility of your arrest & extradition. Thus, you should probably have your lawyer file a motion to vacate your default & ask for another opportunity to appear. Call a White Plains Child Support lawyer for more info. – David Bliven , Westchester Child Support Attorney, (www.Blivenlaw.net)

FindLaw Network
David Bliven Badge