High Net Worth Divorce
Protection For Your Children
Domestic Abuse

I got a divorce in 2014 April

| Dec 8, 2015 | Uncategorized

Q: I got a divorce in 2014 April, I thought my ex-wife needed my signature to start the divorce proceeding. So I told her to start the paper work and she could sign my name where she needed to. Then two months later I get a copy of the finale divorce decree in the mail. We were married for 17 years no separations no kids. We still have everything in our names Tax bill, Cell phone, insurance ext. I didn’t have an attorney in Feb 2015 I filed a Motion to vacate and mailed it in. Just found out in late August you can’t mail anything of matrimony matters you have to come in person and do this. Do I have any recourse?

A:David’s Answer: First, your wife couldn’t have received a divorce without having served you personally or you signed a consent before a notary public. It’s not just a matter of her “signing your name to it.” Moreover, yes, you or your representative must go personally to the court as there’s a fee involved. I also wouldn’t advise that you do it yourself without at least consulting an attorney. Call a NYC Divorce attorney to schedule a consult. — David Bliven, Bronx Divorce Attorney, (www.Blivenlaw.net)

FindLaw Network