Call 914-368-7580 now to schedule a 20-minute Case Assessment or full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!
Call Today 914-368-7580

Going through a divorce, judge ordered that husband could cash in the 401K to pay off his debts pursuant to review of the terms

Q: My husband and his attorney are requesting that I allow them to roll over his 401k into an IRA so that he can have immediate access. I have not been given any documents or account information to review. My instincts say that there is something wrong here, and my attorney is telling me that he feels we can "trust" them. I do not want to give my consent to this, and due to previous experience feel I cannot trust opposing counsel at all. Is it possible to have a QDRO drawn up before the divorce is settled?

A: David's Answer:  You can have a QDRO drafted, but the plan won't generally enforce it unless there's a judgment. You can always insist on being provided with a recent statement - and have a stipulation drawn so as to protect your interests. Schedule a consult with a NYC Divorce attorney for a full assessment. -- David Bliven, Bronx Divorce Attorney, (

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Get Legal Guidance To Support Your Future

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact The Law Offices Of David Bliven

White Plains Office
19 Court Street
Suite 206
White Plains, NY 10601

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions

Bronx Office
3190 Riverdale Avenue
Suite 1
Bronx, NY 10463

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions