Call 914-368-7580 now to schedule a 20-minute Case Assessment or full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!
Call Today 914-368-7580

Can I get back money my wife sent to her family without my consent.

Q: We both have been seeing a mediator attorney to draft a settlement agreement since Feb. In May, she moved about $65,000 via Electronic Fund Transfer, she admitted, to her family. I do not approve of this. She is also paying for future college costs (her college) in advance. She currently controls much more money than I do. Do I have a case to sue to get that back (or a credit for it in splitting the assets) if she refuses to agree to it in the agreement, understanding that it might mean going the Lawyer route instead of mediation?

A: David's Answer: If she transferred those funds from a joint account and/or the funds were clearly marital funds, then yes, you should get a credit. That said, if it's not in the agreement, don't sign it - see an attorney first. Call a NYC Divorce attorney to schedule a consult for a full assessment.- David Bliven, Bronx Divorce Attorney, (

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Get Legal Guidance To Support Your Future

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact The Law Offices Of David Bliven

White Plains Office
19 Court Street
Suite 206
White Plains, NY 10601

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions

Bronx Office
3190 Riverdale Avenue
Suite 1
Bronx, NY 10463

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions