Call 914-368-7580 now to schedule a 20-minute Case Assessment or full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!
Call Today 914-368-7580

Can I file for divorce in the US(NY) even if my wife lives in another country (Honduras)

Q: I married in Honduras and my wife has remained there since. We had a child a year before we married. Our child was born in Honduras. I was born in Honduras but became a naturalized citizen in my teens.

A: David's Answer: You can file in NY (assuming you meet the residency requirement). However, you may have issues establishing proper jurisdiction over her as Honduras is not a signatory on the Hague Convention permitting U.S. service on a resident there. You should schedule a consult with a NYC Family Law attorney for a full assessment.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Get Legal Guidance To Support Your Future

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact The Law Offices Of David Bliven

White Plains Office
445 Hamilton Avenue
Suite 607
White Plains, NY 10601

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions

Bronx Office
3190 Riverdale Avenue
Suite 1
Bronx, NY 10463

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions