Call 914-368-7580 now to schedule a 20-minute Case Assessment or full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!
Call Today 914-368-7580

Is the Non Custodial Parent entitled to child care expenses?

Q: My stupid ex is asking me if I am willing to REDUCE the amount he pays me because he is paying for child care expenses now. He got a new job and can't drop our daughter to school on his visitation days so he hired someone to do it for him. Does that count? If he goes to court can I say that he shouldn't have changed jobs? He is NOT making a lot more at the new job, I checked. Maybe just $3K difference. And since he doesn't have time to drop her off at school can I reduce his visitation to weekends and school breaks?

A: David's Answer: Generally a non-custodial parent doesn't get credit for childcare expenses, simply because his time is meant to be with the child. Thus, if he can't spend that time with the child, the child should be returned to your household. That said, if the child would then need to be in your household (if he can't care for the child), and you can't care for the child during that time, then childcare would generally be split pro-rata. Schedule a consult with a NYC Child Custody attorney for more info. - David Bliven, Bronx Child Custody attorney (

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Get Legal Guidance To Support Your Future

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact The Law Offices Of David Bliven

White Plains Office
19 Court Street
Suite 206
White Plains, NY 10601

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions

Bronx Office
3190 Riverdale Avenue
Suite 1
Bronx, NY 10463

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions