Call 914-368-7580 now to schedule a 20-minute Case Assessment or full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!
Call Today 914-368-7580

Can I lose custody bc I'm on bipolar medicine?

Q: I was diagnosed with bipolar & am taking meds. We have joint custody & I currently have residential custody of our child who is 2 yrs old. My ex is trying to modify the order (and avoid paying child support) bc I'm on bipolar meds. Can he really use this as a reason? Can I lose my child?

A: David's Answer: Here's the question: were you bipolar at the time the joint custody agreement was made? Was your ex aware of same? If yes, then he can't prove that circumstances have changed. That said, while bipolar is a serious mental illness, if you're properly addressing same in therapy & strictly following your medication recommendation, then it's unlikely to bear substantially on custody (unless your therapist or a forensic psych opine differently). Schedule a consult with a NYC Child Custody attorney for a full assessment. - David Bliven, Bronx Child Custody attorney (

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Get Legal Guidance To Support Your Future

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact The Law Offices Of David Bliven

White Plains Office
19 Court Street
Suite 206
White Plains, NY 10601

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions

Bronx Office
3190 Riverdale Avenue
Suite 1
Bronx, NY 10463

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions