Call 914-368-7580 now to schedule a 20-minute Case Assessment or full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!
Call Today 914-368-7580

Termination of fathers parental rights

Q: I have a 5 month old baby who was born very sick the baby had open heart surgery at birth and one up coming and many more to come. The baby selfish father wants nothing to do with her and recently had a baby with his girlfriend and lives with them and fully supports them 2 babies 4 1/2 months apart. Anyways he has done nothing for my baby not even provide help to pay for heart medication or drive us to doctors appointments he don't even come to see the baby and we live in the same area the baby has his last name but father did not sign acknowledgement of patiently or name on BC. I would like to know can I change the baby last name in addition I would like to take him to court to establish paternity and request that he gives up his parental rights so like that baby and I can move on

A: David's Answer: While you can sue for paternity, this would actually serve to legally establish him as the father - something you don't want. If he didn't sign the acknowledgment of paternity, then currently the child does not have a legal father. You otherwise can't "terminate his rights" except in the context of an adoption proceeding. Call a Bronx Child Custody attorney for more info. - David Bliven, Bronx Child Custody attorney (

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Get Legal Guidance To Support Your Future

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact The Law Offices Of David Bliven

White Plains Office
19 Court Street
Suite 206
White Plains, NY 10601

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions

Bronx Office
3190 Riverdale Avenue
Suite 1
Bronx, NY 10463

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions