A Singular Focus On Family Law
The Law Offices of David Bliven opened its doors in 2000 with the intention of helping individuals and their families when they most need legal help. Ever since, we have remained true to our aim.
We have made family law our singular focus. Our firm possesses a thorough understanding of the law, a thorough understanding of the court system, and a thorough understanding of how best to help our clients achieve their legal goals.
A Legacy Of Service Throughout New York
Whether entering divorce proceedings or negotiating child visitation schedules, our firm has the resources and the knowledge to assist. Some couples can settle matters easily and need a lawyer only to handle technical documents. Others, however, find themselves in need of comprehensive legal help to protect their interests and their relationships. In all concerns, we work closely with our clients and tailor our representation to fit their needs.
Serving primarily Westchester and the Bronx, we provide guidance for a range of family law considerations, including:
- Divorce (uncontested & contested, including high net worth cases)
- Same-sex family law
- Child Custody and Visitation
- Paternity & Child Support
- Juvenile Delinquency
- Child Abuse & Neglect
- Adoption and foster care
- Domestic abuse (Orders of Protection)
Attorney David Bliven graduated with honors from Syracuse University in 1993 with a B.A. in Sociology. He went on to serve as a judicial intern and statistician with the NYS Commission on City Court Judicial Reallocation with the Office of the Deputy Chief Administrative Judge.
David Bliven then attended law school at New York Law School, where he graduated in 1997 with honors and ranked within the top 15% of his class.
Upon graduation, he worked in private practice for a year, doing mostly matrimonial work, before serving as a prosecutor for nearly 3 years with the NYC Administration for Children’s Services. There he prosecuted child support, child abuse/neglect and foster care cases on behalf of the City of New York.
After leaving the prosecutor position, Mr. Bliven opened his present practice in 2000. His philosophy is to provide quality legal representation at affordable prices. His practice is approximately 99% Divorce & Family Court cases, as well as some governmental misconduct cases.
Mr Bliven has an “AV” rating from Martindale-Hubbell (the highest possible rating in both Legal Ability & Ethical Standards), a perfect 10.0 rating from Avvo (“Superb” rating) and is listed in the “Super Lawyers” directory by Thompson Reuters (a distinction given to less than 5% of all attorneys in each field of practice). He is also a Certified Financial Litigator by the American Academy of Certified Financial Litigators – which is particularly helpful in high net worth divorces & support cases. Mr Bliven also authors “Cases That Help” – an annual caselaw newsletter distributed to Family Court Assigned Counsel panels throughout the State of New York.
Furthermore, he has been published at such periodicals as Nolo.com, New York Law Journal and Westchester Lawyer, and is the author of the book “Navigating Your New York Divorce Case.”
Finally, he was honored as one of 2019’s “New York’s Leaders in the Law” by New York Magazine. He was also honored as a “Super Lawyer” for the New York Metro & Westchester area by Westchester Magazine, October, 2019.
A sampling of the Continuing Legal Education courses Mr Bliven has taken is below (a complete list can be provided):
- How to Prepare Your Divorce Case: For Trial or Settlement;
- How to Handle a Custody Trial;
- Matrimonial Trial Institute,
- Handling Support and Family Offense Proceedings in Family Court;
- How to Handle a Matrimonial Case from Start to Finish;
- A Matrimonial Motion Practice Odyssey;
- How to Try Your Divorce Case: Grounds, Equitable Distribution, Support;
- The Use of Mental Health Professionals in Contested Child Custody Cases;
- How to Analyze and Challenge Custody Evaluations;
- Drafting Settlement Agreements – Life Insurance and Estate Provisions, Common Mistakes We All Make and Pitfalls to Avoid;
- Divorce Economics Institute: Review & Analysis of Selected Financial Issues;
- Negotiating & Drafting Matrimonial Agreements;
- Cutting Edge Matrimonial Issues: The Money, The Children and Separate Property;
- Analyzing an Equitable Distribution Action for Settlement and Trial;
- Handling a Child Custody Case From Intake to Trial;
- Courtroom Evidence;
- Family Court Trial Institute.
To learn more about David’s professional background and interests, please follow the link below:
An Attorney Who Will Provide Legal Support To Your Family
If you would like to learn more, please reach out to our office. You can call us at (914) 468-0968 or schedule an appointment online. We offer initial assessments and can arrange full consultations at your convenience.