Call 914-368-7580 now to schedule a 20-minute Case Assessment or full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!
Call Today 914-368-7580

Should I seek legal council also?

Q: I petitioned for child support in April through the child support agency. My court date was today as soon as we were called the judge swore us in.Then began to ask if we will be representing ourselves or would we want to seek council. I said represent myself and the respondent said seek council, the judge gave us another court date. Should I now seek council? and why is he allowed to get an appointed lawyer and not me?

A: David's Answer: Generally, the only way a party gets "appointed" counsel in a child support case is if its a violation case & the recipient is seeking incarceration. Otherwise, each of you are generally entitled to 1 adjournment per case to seek counsel. Whether you need representation in your case should be assessed at a full consult. Call a Westchester Child Support attorney to make an appointment.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Get Legal Guidance To Support Your Future

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact The Law Offices Of David Bliven

White Plains Office
445 Hamilton Avenue
Suite 607
White Plains, NY 10601

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions

Bronx Office
3174 Riverdale Avenue
Suite 1
Bronx, NY 10463

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions