Modifying Child Support And Custody Agreements

It is often necessary to modify the terms of an existing child support, child custody or alimony/maintenance agreement to reflect the ever-changing lives and circumstances of the parties involved. In order for the court to grant a modification, however, a number of steps must be taken by the petitioning party. To ensure your modification request is handled skillfully and successfully, it is extremely important to consult the services of an experienced lawyer to effectively represent your rights.

The Law Offices of David Bliven can help.

The Law As It Pertains To Modifications

To successfully obtain a post-divorce modification, certain requirements must be met. Most importantly, the petitioning party must prove to the court that they have undergone a substantial change in circumstances, warranting the need for a modification of terms. Loss of employment, a substantial increase or decrease of income, or another major life change can all be considered reason for a significant change in circumstances. The following divorce-related issues may be modified in post-divorce decree:

Very recently, New York child support law was reformed to include an automatic modification of child support once every three years. If you or your child has experienced a life change that has produced a significant effect on your lives, you may request that a modification be made.

We Can Help

At the Law Offices of David Bliven, we understand that life doesn't stand still. The needs of you and your child are constantly changing and evolving, and we are here to help ensure that your divorce agreement reflects those changes. To speak with us about your case, call 914-368-7580, or contact us online.